The police found four bodies with gunshot wounds and partially burned. (Sakhiseni Nxumalo/News24)
Four community patrollers were killed, and eight others injured, in an attack in the Marry Me informal settlement in Soshanguve, Gauteng, during the early hours on Saturday morning.
In a gruesome crime scene at the settlement’s Extension 3 area, their bodies were discovered by Soshanguve police at around 06:00.
"The police found four bodies with gunshot wounds and partially burned. Witnesses reported that other victims, confirmed to be eight, were taken to hospital in private vehicles and ambulances," said SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Brenda Muridili.
Preliminary investigations suggest that, at around 03:00, a group of community-based patrollers were gathering when they noticed five people in the street.
"When the group approached the five, a quarrel broke out which ended with four dead and eight injured. The motive for the attack will be determined by investigations," said Muridili.
She confirmed that the deceased were community patrollers.
The provincial and district Serious and Violent Crime Investigations Unit, together with forensic experts, visited the scene to comb for clues and interview witnesses.
Muridili said the Public Order Police unit and Soshanguve police were in the area to ensure stability.
No one had been arrested at the time of writing.